Last Updated: September 28, 2021
This Privacy Notice explains how we collect, use, disclose and otherwise process your personal information in connection with our Services.
Who We Are: Michelin North America Inc. (MNAI) and Michelin North America (Canada) Inc. (MNA(C)I), (collectively “Michelin”, “we”, “us”, or “our”) with operations throughout the United States and Canada.
Our Services: When we use the term “Services,” we are referring only to the products and services that we offer through our brands, including without limitation, Michelin, BFGoodrich, Uniroyal, and Camso that post or link to this Privacy Notice (the “Brands”) such as products, websites, digital services, mobile applications and services.
This Privacy Notice does not cover or address, for example:
- Any of Michelin’s other product or service offerings, including other websites and mobile applications that do not post or link to this Privacy Notice. To learn more about Michelin’s personal information practices relating to these other product or service offerings, please review their respective privacy notices and policies.
- Personal information and privacy practices relating to MNAI or MNA(C)I job applicants, employees or other personnel.
- Privacy practices of independent third-party retailers that sell Michelin products.
Michelin bases its Privacy Notice on the relevant federal, state, and provincial laws and regulations in North America, including the Ten Privacy Principles set by the Canadian Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act.
Click on the links below to jump to each section:
- Our Collection of Personal Information
- Our Use of Personal Information
- Our Disclosure of Information
- Children’s Personal Information
- Third-Party Websites
- Choices and Control Over Your Information
- Safeguarding Your Information
- Updates to the Privacy Notice
- Accountability and Contact
- Cookie Notice
Depending on your country, province or state of residence certain rights may apply to you. Please refer below for disclosures that may be applicable to you:
- If you are a resident of Canada, please click here for Canada-specific privacy rights
What is Personal Information?
When we use the term “personal information” in this Privacy Notice, we mean information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, to a person. It does not include aggregated or deidentified information that is maintained in a form that is not reasonably capable of being associated with or linked to a person.
1. Our Collection of Personal Information
We collect personal information about you in a variety of ways. Sometimes we collect personal information automatically when you interact with the Services, and sometimes we collect the personal information directly from you. At times, we may collect personal information about you from other sources and third parties, even before our first direct interaction. We may link or combine your activities and information collected from you on our websites with information we have collected from you offline (e.g., at an event), information we receive from third parties, as well as information we collect automatically through tracking technologies (as discussed in the Cookie Notice).
Personal Information You Provide
We may collect the following personal information from you in while providing our Services:
- Contact Information, including your name, email address, telephone number, address and zip/postal code, preferred language, customer profile when you purchase a product from a Brand e-commerce website or register for the Services, submit information through our warranty or rebate registration process, take advantage of or participate in an offer or promotional activity (e.g., sweepstakes or contest), sign up for our newsletters, request further information from us, respond to a survey or questionnaire, or otherwise communicate with us or interact with the Services.
- Inquiry and Communication Information, such as the content of your email, live chat conversation or contact form submission on our websites, and, where applicable, the content of calls with us when you contact us. We may also collect any other communications between you and Michelin and any other information and content you provide to Michelin.
- Sensory Information, including pictures you provide or upload in connection with the Services, and the content and audio recordings of phone calls between you and Michelin and you and our service providers, including our third-party call center operations vendors, that we record where permitted by law.
- Demographic Information, including age.
- Account Information, including your username and password.
- Vehicle and Driver’s License Information, including driver’s license information, VIN number, Department of Transportation (DOT) code, vehicle type, make, model and registration information, and tire depth and size information when you purchase certain products from us or register for the Services.
- Professional/Employment Information, including your job title, department, employer or business, type of industry and trade or professional association membership information.
- Location Information, including information about your physical location that you upload to the Services, such as when you use our dealer locator tool to identify nearby dealers of Michelin products or interact with our emergency roadside services.
Personal Information Automatically Collected
As is true of most digital platforms, we may collect certain personal information automatically when you visit our online services, including:
- Log File Data, including your internet protocol (IP) address, operating system, browser type, browser id, date/time of visit, and pages visited.
- Analytics Data, including the electronic path you take to the Services, through the Services and when exiting the Services, as well as your usage and activity on the Services, such as the links and object you view, click or otherwise interact with (also known as “Clickstream Data”). For information, please visit our Cookie Notice.
- Information You May Post/Submit to our Services. We may collect information about how you use and interact with our Services, including any information and content you post to the Services. If you share photos and video from a mobile device, we will access your device camera roll and camera with your permission as needed to post your content. If you need to update your permissions, you can do so in the “Settings” app of your device.
Personal Information Provided by Other Sources
We also may obtain your personal information from other sources which we often combine with personal information we collect either automatically or directly from you.
We may receive the same categories of personal information as described above from the following sources and third parties:
- Our Brands. We may receive information about you from our other Brands and affiliates, so that information you provide to one Brand or affiliate may be used by us to provide you Services, communicate with you or provide you advertisements or other personalized content.
- Service Providers: Our service providers that perform services on our behalf, such as our call center operations vendors, identity verification providers, payment processors on a Brand e-commerce website, third party dealers that deliver products and services on our behalf and analytics providers. For example, we may receive personal information from our service providers that conduct call center support, marketing, or analytics activities.
- Business / Promotional Partners: Our business and promotional partners whom we partner with to provide our contests, sweepstakes or other joint promotional activities or co-branded services may collect personal information in connection with these activities and may share some or all of the information with us.
- Social Networks: When you interact with the Services through various social media networks, such as when you “Like” us on Facebook or when you follow us or share our content on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, LinkedIn or other social networks, we may receive some information about you that you permit the social network to share with third parties. The data we receive is dependent upon your privacy settings with the social network. You should always review and, if necessary, adjust your privacy settings on third party websites and social media networks and services before linking or connecting them to the Services.
- Other Third Parties and Publicly Available Sources: From time to time, we may receive information about you from third parties. For example, we may obtain information from our marketing partners or from third parties to enhance or supplement our existing user information. Where permitted by applicable law, we may also collect information about you that is publicly available, including contact information, employment-related information and product interest information. We may combine this information with the information we collect from you directly.
2. Our Use of Personal Information
We may collect, use and disclose your personal information for purposes identified at the time of collection, or as otherwise permitted or required by law, including the following purposes:
- To fulfill or meet the reason the information was provided, such as to process your requests or payment on a Brand e-commerce website in connection with your transactions, to respond to inquiries, to process your warranty or rebate claims and registration for the Services, including verifying your information to ensure its accuracy and validity.
- To personalize your experience (e.g., to locate a nearby dealer of Michelin products) and customize content on the Services relevant to your interests, including but not limited to targeted offers and ads through our websites, email, social media channels, third-party sites, or on other devices you may use.
- To communicate with you, including via email, text message, push notification and/or telephone calls.
- To operate, maintain, and provide the features and functionality of the Services.
- To complete the performance of the Services pursuant to an agreement between you and us.
- To send you important information regarding the Services, such as certain changes to our terms, conditions, policies, and/or other administrative information. Because this information may be material to your use of the Services, you may not opt out of receiving such communications.
- To send you certain product recall notifications or information.
- To inform you of products, programs, services and promotions that we believe may be of interest to you, including, without limitation, adding you to our email/mailing lists and permitting you to participate in sweepstakes, contests, rebates and similar promotions (collectively, “Promotions”) or following up with you if you are the winner of a Promotion.
- To evaluate your eligibility for certain types of Promotions, offers, products or services that may be of interest to you.
- To help maintain the safety, security, and integrity of the Services, technology assets, and business.
- For our internal business purposes, such as data analysis, customer research, audits, fraud prevention, developing new products and/or features, evaluating, enhancing the Services, improving the Services and identifying usage trends, and determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns, including to inform our machine learning for purposes such as user engagement.
- For purposes disclosed at the time you provide your personal information or as otherwise set forth in this Privacy Notice.
We will only keep your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfil the purpose for which it was collected or as otherwise required by applicable law.
We may also use aggregate personal information in a manner such that the end-product does not uniquely identify you or any other user of the Services, for example to compile statistics about the Services based on responses to our product surveys or questionnaires.
We may provide additional privacy disclosures where the scope of the inquiry/request and/or personal information we require fall outside the scope of this Privacy Notice. In that case, the additional privacy disclosures will govern how we collect, use and disclose the information you provide at that time.
3. Our Disclosure of Personal Information
We may disclose your personal information for purposes and uses that are consistent with this Privacy Notice in the following ways:
- Within Michelin: We may disclose personal information between and among MNAI, MNA(C)I and its current and future parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, our Brands, and other companies under common control or ownership.
- International Transfers of Personal Data: Michelin is an international group with activities around the world. We may transfer your personal data as described in this Privacy Notice to a country other than the country where we originally collected it. Those countries may not have the same personal information protection laws as your country. However, when we transfer your information to other countries, we will protect that information as described in this Privacy Notice and take steps, where necessary, to ensure that international transfers comply with applicable laws.
- Business / Promotional Partners: We may share limited information with third parties with whom we partner to provide contests and sweepstakes, or other joint promotional activities or co-branded services.
- Online Advertising Partners: We may also share personal information with advertising networks or permit these partners to collect information from you directly on our websites to facilitate online advertising, such as search engines and social network advertising providers to serve targeted ads to you or to groups of other users who share similar traits, such as likely commercial interests and demographics, on third-party platforms. For more information, including how to opt out of interest-based advertising, please read our Cookie Notice.
- Service Providers: We may disclose personal information with third-party vendors, third-party dealers, consultants and other service providers whom we engage to perform functions or services on our behalf and under our instructions in connection with the purposes and uses described in this Privacy Notice. Such service providers are under contractual obligations to maintain the confidentiality of your personal information and to use such information only pursuant to our instructions.
- Business Transaction or Reorganization: We may take part in or be involved with a corporate business transaction, such as a merger, acquisition, joint venture, or financing or sale of company assets. We may disclose personal information to a third-party during negotiation of, in connection with or as an asset in such a corporate business transaction. Personal information may also be disclosed in the event of insolvency, bankruptcy, or receivership, in compliance with applicable law.
- Legal Obligations and Rights: We may disclose personal information to third parties, such as legal advisors and law enforcement:
- in connection with the establishment, exercise, or defense of legal claims;
- to comply with laws or to respond to lawful requests and legal process;
- to detect, suppress, or prevent fraud;
- to reduce credit risk and collect debts owed to us;
- to protect the health and safety of us, our customers, or any person; or
- as otherwise required by applicable law.
- With Your Consent or At Your Direction: We may disclose personal information about you to certain other third parties with your consent or at your direction.
We do not sell or rent your personal information to third parties. Except as specified herein, we do not disclose your personal information to third parties, unless such disclosure is required by law or to protect our interests.
4. Children’s Personal Information
Our websites and online Services are not directed to, and we do not intend to, or knowingly, collect or solicit personal information from children under the age of 15. If you are under the age of 15, please do not use our websites or online Services or otherwise provide us with any personal information either directly or by other means. If a child under the age of 15 has provided personal information to us, we encourage the child’s parent or guardian to contact us to request that we remove the personal information from our systems. If we learn that any personal information we collect has been provided by a child under the age of 15, we will promptly delete that personal information.
5. Third-Party Websites
Our websites and online Services may include links to third-party websites, plug-ins and applications. Except where we post, link to or expressly adopt or refer to this Privacy Notice, this Privacy Notice does not apply to, and we are not responsible for, any personal information practices of third-party websites and online services or the practices of other third parties. To learn about the personal information practices of third parties, please visit their respective privacy notices.
6. Choices and Control Over Your Information
How to control your email preferences: You can stop receiving promotional email communications from us at any time by clicking on the “unsubscribe link” provided in such communications. We make every effort to promptly process all unsubscribe requests. You may not opt out of service-related communications (e.g., account verification, transactional communications, changes/updates to features of the service, technical and security notices).
Online advertising and tracking: Please refer to our Cookie Notice to learn more about how we work with third party partners to collect data through tracking technologies for various purposes, including analytics, advertising, and to understand your choices.
7. Safeguarding Your Information
Your privacy is very important to us and shall be protected by security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information. We use leading security technology and security procedures to protect your personal information against loss, theft unauthorized access, copying, use, modification or disclosure. Among other techniques, we usually store such information on a computer behind our "firewall" to ensure that only the necessary employees internally can access this data. Of course, there is no such thing as "perfect security" on the Internet and we cannot guarantee the security of any information you disclose over the Internet.
8. Updates to This Privacy Notice.
We may change our policy from time to time. Any changes we make to this policy in the future will be posted on this page. All changes shall be effective from the date of publication unless otherwise provided.
9. Accountability and Contact
Michelin is responsible for personal information under its control and has a designated privacy officer who is accountable for the organization's compliance with the applicable privacy laws
and regulations in North America. If you have any questions or requests in connection with this Privacy Notice or other privacy-related matters, please send an email to Privacy.AMN@michelin.com
Alternatively, inquiries may be addressed to:
Michelin North America Privacy Officer
Michelin North America
One Parkway South
Greenville, SC 29615
ADDITIONAL CANADA PRIVACY RIGHTS
Last Updated: September 2nd, 2021
1. Scope of Rights
These additional Canada Data Privacy Rights (the “Canada Privacy Rights”) supplement the information contained in our Privacy Notice regarding the Michelin Brand websites, products and service offerings, mobile applications and services that post or link to these Privacy Disclosures (collectively, “Michelin”, “we”, “us”, or “our”) and apply solely to individual residents of Canada (“you”).
Unless otherwise expressly stated, all terms in these Canada Data Privacy Rights have the same meaning as defined in our Privacy Notice or as otherwise defined in PIPEDA.
2. How to Exercise your Data Privacy Rights
Right of Access. If you would like to know what personal information we hold about you please use this webform to submit your request to our privacy officer. We will need to verify your identify before processing your request. In order to verify identify, we will generally either require the successful login to your account or the matching of sufficient information you provide us to the information we maintain about you in our systems. Although we try to limit the personal information collected in connection with a subject access request, certain requests may require us to obtain additional personal information from you. Any additional information we request to verify your identity will only be used for the purpose of responding to your subject access request.
Right to Rectification. You have the right to challenge the accuracy and completeness of the information which we hold on you, please use this webform to do so. Subject to applicable federal and provincial law we will do our best to accommodate your request in a reasonable period of time. Where appropriate, we will also inform any organizations to which we have shared your personal information of the edits you provide. Please note that there are certain conditions under which we will not amend your personal information we have, such as for example, if we have a legal obligation to keep the information for a specific amount of time or the information is subject to a legal hold.
Right to Withdraw consent and to Opt-Out. You have the right to withdraw your consent to our use and disclosure of your personal information or opt-out of certain uses and disclosures, subject to certain legal or contractual obligations. All marketing communication we send to you will come with an “opt-out” or “unsubscribe” link which you can use to withdraw your consent to receive promotional or marketing communications from us. Additionally, you can opt out of interest-based advertising which we participate in with advertising networks or online advertising partners by adjusting your browser settings to disable cookies. You can find more information and opt out instructions in our Cookie Notice.
3. Updates to These Canada Privacy Rights
We may change these Canada Privacy Rights from time to time. Any changes we make to this notice in the future will be posted on this page. All changes shall be effective from the date of publication unless otherwise provided.
4. Contact Us
If you have any questions or requests in connection with this Notice or other privacy-related matters, please send an email to Privacy.AMN@michelin.com.
Alternatively, inquiries may be addressed to:
Brent Humphries, Michelin North America Privacy Officer
Michelin North America, Inc.
One Parkway South
Greenville, SC 29615